Christmas Cactus – The History
While the Christmas cactus may be known under various names (like Thanksgiving cactus or Easter cactus), the scientific name for Christmas cactus,Schlumbergera bridgessii, remains the same – while other plants may differ.
This popular, winter-flowering houseplant makes a great addition to nearly any indoor setting. Christmas cactus is not only easy to care for but propagates easily as well, making it an exceptional candidate for holiday gift giving.
How do you care for the Christmas Cactus?
Advice for Christmas cactus care tells us that it performs well under average home conditions with moderate care. The Christmas cactus will adapt to low light conditions, but the plant will produce blooms more readily if exposed to brighter light. Once again, bear in mind that too much direct sunlight can burn its leaves, so keep the Christmas cactus in an appropriate area to avoid this.
- It requires moisture; keep watering it, as it is necessary especially during the Spring and Summer seasons
- Never let it dry out completely as the stem will rot and the plant will end up dying
- Use a mild houseplant fertilizer solution every other week to keep it healthy
- Keep temperatures between 60 and 70 degrees F. with average to high humidity levels; the home environment should be welcoming to the Christmas Cactus
- Place a tray of pebbles filled with water beneath the container to add more humidity to the home
- Once it’s done flowering (typically be Fall); the will begin its dormancy cycle by cutting back on moisture levels and withholding water
- Do not place the Christmas Cactus in drafty areas
When you know how to care for Christmas cactus, this plant is not difficult to manage, and when given proper care and placed in a suitable location, the Christmas cactus may even surprise you with additional blooming cycles throughout the year.
It’s perfect for gift giving to special friends and family members; flowers are wonderful and plants tend to last a long time; just like the relationship. Need more holiday ideas? Check out our Web Store.